Learn how to effectively prevent and respond to water emergencies with the American Red Cross lifeguard training. The courses are designed to arm you with the skills and knowledge to prepare you for a variety of scenarios in and around the water. With lifeguard training, you will learn how quick response times and effective preparation are vital to being a lifeguard while also understanding the crucial elements in helping to prevent drowning and injuries.
Already certified? Fill out our employee application below!
Lifeguarding Courses and Prerequisites
The American Red Cross lifeguard training and certification are imperative to the process of getting hired on as an official Red Cross lifeguard. Our detailed training includes both testing hands-on skills as well as comprehension on written tests. The certification includes First Aid, CPR and AED training, is valid for two years upon completion and is accepted nationwide. The American Red Cross is the most respected source for training and certification of this kind.
Prerequisites for lifeguard training include:
- Students must be at least 15 years old by the last day of class
- Students must pass a pre-course swimming skills test prior to taking lifeguarding courses
1. Verification of Age
2. Swim 300 yards (12 laps) continuous swimming front crawl, breast stroke or combination of both.
3. Tread water for 2 minutes no hands no stopping. Head remains out of water.
4. Swim from start of shallow to deep surface dive down retrieve 10 lb brick of bottom of deep end come up swim on back both hands on brick keeping face out of water
back to the shallow end, exit out of pool without using ladders or stairs.
This has to be completed in 1 minute 40 seconds.
The American Red Cross offers the following course options for Lifeguard training:
If you sign up for a class with us and also work for us, we’ll give you a discount on your class
For course location nearest you please visit Redcross or go here.